Yep, I'm doing another one, MT 18 as usual!

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:18 pm

Member02 wrote:i seee, what kind of grit?

at least 1000 for the color/clearcoat sanding process. take your time with the wet sanding too, pain in the ass to respray paint

course its a lot better than painting houses and molding/baseboards (where 99% of my actual painting experience comes from; awful job really; I never even got paid for it) thats for sure
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed May 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Penguin4x4 wrote:at least 1000 for the color/clearcoat sanding process. take your time with the wet sanding too, pain in the ass to respray paint

course its a lot better than painting houses and molding/baseboards (where 99% of my actual painting experience comes from; awful job really; I never even got paid for it) thats for sure

It's awful to paint those, you are down on the floor all the time or up in the air and you have to really strain your back and knees. Even with good pads and a brace it's a hard job.

Wet sanding is a lot easier than sanding all that dumb bondo. I forgot about filler putty or I would have suggested it. Way easier to work with. We use it in the maquette making process (scale models of animation characters).
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:21 pm

well, I decided to skip 1000grit and jump straight to 2000grit wetsanding...

I'm convinced you can do ANYTHING with body filler, i mean look at the before bondo picture, then the following nearly finished pics:

after sanding:

I took my time to clean it up with soap and water lightly, and then coated it with the duplicolor clear coat:

here's closeups of the first layer of clear coat ( I only put these here to scare away any 56kers, haha):

I was amazed to see the 2000grit leaves NO scratches whatsoever! it only shines!

but yet, I still bought some rubbing compound to shine up the final clear coat (I figure 2 layers is enough)

but the clear coat has to dry for 48 hours before using rubbing compound..... HOWEVER, they don't say NOTHIN abou installing my subwoofer before 48 hrs!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes, it's going in tonight.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu May 31, 2007 12:47 pm

That's excellent work. Top notch! Bolt that down or I'll steal it myself. JK!
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu May 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Your paint looks blotchy on camera and your baffle simply isnt good enough

LOL, JK. It looks great man. Get some install pics pronto.

And yes, bondo, though a pain in the ass, does wonders.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:26 pm

unfortunately, the amp rack will have to wait a few weeks, haha... but it's comming, don't worry... I ended up going to get more clear coat, evidently I wasn't putting it on thick enough at first, now it's shiny like new-car-shiny... pics in 15 mins...
Member02

Finally@!@#!@#%$@#!$^&*#

Postby Member02 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 pm

wow, this is the most... obsessive compulsiveness... I've ever put into anything before...

Here's a pic of the difference between first two coats of clear coat, and the final coat of clear coat...the lefthand side has the begining of the third coat (it eventualy got 4 coats)

here's the final pics until I wax it in two days (later tonight I'll have the sub installed)... IT IS SO SHINY

weeeeee!!! :cwm18:
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 pm

Member02 wrote:I was amazed to see the 2000grit leaves NO scratches whatsoever! it only shines!

but yet, I still bought some rubbing compound to shine up the final clear coat (I figure 2 layers is enough)

but the clear coat has to dry for 48 hours before using rubbing compound..... HOWEVER, they don't say NOTHIN abou installing my subwoofer before 48 hrs!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes, it's going in tonight.

More Clearcoat! BLING BLING MOTHERFUCKER :cwm11: :cwm11: :cwm11:
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:49 pm

Oh and the wetsanding is designed to get remove all the overspray and orange peel, polishing fills in the scratches to achieve a uniform surface (like the spot putty does) Have fun polishing :D
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:00 pm

did you look above? it's the final finish. I posted it seconds before you responded.

Return to “Project Logs”