Yep, I'm doing another one, MT 18 as usual!

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
Member02

Yep, I'm doing another one, MT 18 as usual!

Postby Member02 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:42 pm

:cwm21: Well, FBI90909 finally got to my head. I had all the materials, all the tools and more!:cwm21:

So, I gathered all my stuff, and started planning out what to do...

first, scrap the old box...

Now, I was thinking, I want the MT sealed, and I want some cargo room, not heavy duty cargo room, but light stuff, stuff that can't damage an MT.

this is what I have to work with:

So I came up with the idea of side firing the sub, and the damn giant amp kind of has to be in the back, it's too long to fit anywhere else, so it's going to be a sealed L-shaped box.

here's my MSpaint mad wizardry skillz:

Well, I know the first thing I need is to fiberglass the area to put the sub, but I decided to do that tomorrow, when I don't have a rushhour hour long drive home shortly after glassin'...

so I figured I would make my ring for the MT... I don't want to spend too much money so I figured I would use the old baffle of the 4 month old box...

Gotta love the sawzall, goes right through screws and 1.5" of MDF, lovely

didn't take long:

now, I was in for a surprise... 1..5" of MDF is TOO much for the band saw... DAMNIT! it cuts through MDF like butter, but it's like 1.25" gap to put things through.

so I started using a jigsaw... carefully...

now, I pulled out the 1" routing bit, and through the switch on the routing table (love it! :cwm11: ) and went to work, shortly after I had this:

the damn ring over all took about 2 hours to get done, I did sand it clean too, I simply forgot to take the picture, I'll have that tomorrow morning.

comming up tomorrow morning:

hopefully a gallon of resin will get used up, and the basic bottom will be done, as well as the MDF frame for the whole thing. I'm going to have to figure out a way to brace this thing, I doubt fiberglass like MT pressures.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:44 am

anyone have any ideas on how much MDF should be mixed in with the fiberglass?
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:27 am

Build the bracing out of mdf, that will also give you your basic shape. Then start FGing from there. Good luck on your project.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:08 pm

man, I just did my first batch of resin...8oz ain't shit, I need like quadruple that amount at a time...

waiting for this tiny amount of fiberglass to dry so I know how long it takes to dry (I have a kerosene heater blowing throughout the car right now, since it's only in the high 50's)

I hate trying to figure out the liquid hardener, I have a damned gallon of resin and it says "for every tablespoon of resin add 14 drops of hardener" oh yeah, I lost count after 60+ and then squirted two big amounts.

damn.
Member02

update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Postby Member02 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:21 pm

Well, all is going well, I started to salvage yet more MDF from the old box for the bottom of the new fiberglass box.

so far, so good. :)

I Began to shape the wood for the bottom with the band saw, until it stopped working.

I tried to fix it, but the track is just FUBAR. so I went back to the handy jig saw.

as you can see I have a good fit.

now, I raly had no clue what-so-ever about how much blue tape I might need.

so I picked up a box of 36 rolls. here they are stacked up, only costs me $60, hehe.

I took a break because I quickly realized just how painful the taping process was going to be.

Images

This is when my back began to hurt, so I kept taking 5 minute breaks here and there.

I got hungry, and took yet another break. I know... I'm slow.

Finally, after eating, I started to work.

I forgot to take a picture of the wax, but as you can see, it's whiter now. I hope this stuff works.

I began with 8 ounces. and discovered that was not enough.

I shortly thereafter ran out of that 8oz. so I turned on the heater and waited to see how long it would take to dry.

drying time: 25minutes after working time.

second batch was 20 Oz, and a bit too much, started to get thick just in the nick of time.

I got a lot done though.

drying time: 15minutes after 20 minutes working time.

I finally got down to the last batch I could manage (last of my two things of liquid hardener)

so basically everything is covered now, and the majority of everything has two layers of chopped mat. I used the cloth for the corners, then chopped mat after that.

I only have one question: how many layers should I have before popping it out and workingon it outside of my car?

and what's a good way to pop ip out? because I fear the wax I used didn't do a good job. It's awfully stuck and doesn't feel like it wants to release at all.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Give it a yank, it should come out. If not, start pulling off the tape. If the tape comes out, the FG will too. :D

I would also say a couple of layers, then you can work on it outside of the vehicle.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:42 pm

I like to lay foil and tape that. You don't need as much tape, and it comes out without making your carpet fibers into a fuzzy mess. But it also makes noise if you have to drive around with it before you start.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:07 pm

I had a few people mention I had a big space to work... well, it's 14,000 sq ft, and here's a shot from one end to the other (which is 297ft from one side to the other side.)

Anyhow, I got to the building and decided to just start to pull the mold out, which proved harder than I thought, so while looking around for something to pry with, I took these photos, so everyone gets a good idea of just how massive the 18" MT is, and that's the ring I'm not going to use.

Well, I finally just gave up looing for a flat head screw driver, and started prying at the wood that is behind the seat, it gave way and I ended up pulling out the tape still attached to the fiberglass. I pulled most of the tape off the fiberglass, but some of it is there to stay...

So, I carried this damn mold to the other end of this awfully long building, and set it on the table I was to work on. Then I gathered all my supplies which were in the middle of the building... and took a picture.

there are some awfully rough spots, so I decided to take 60 grit against it all to remove a couple big bubbles, and get rid of all the find trash sticking up.

unfortunately I wasn't only able to strengthen the lefthand side to just beyond the middle, then my batch was empty. At this point I was hungry and decided to call i day. I know, not much got done, and I'm almost out of the gallon I had, so I figured I'd wait to finish this gallon tomorrow afternoon after college.

oh! I saw the funniest thing as I was leaving, the storm we had all morning was soo windy, it did this:

black00

Postby black00 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Dude.....
if you don't put that sub a lil more forward and port to the back door i will totally send a sniper after you.........

(i don't see any mention of that beind done............i'll have you killed......i have money.........)
black00

Postby black00 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Oh ya.....
btw.........

You are doing a kick ass job on the fiberglass work too ....

Return to “Project Logs”