Acquiring first job after graduation

Off topic, uncensored, and mostly unmoderated.
KU40

Acquiring first job after graduation

Postby KU40 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:43 pm

How did you all get your job after you got out of college, high school, 2nd grade.....? Internet sites, classifieds in newspapers, family friends, help wanted board at the supermarket...?

I've used almost every avenue for the part time jobs I've had during school. Worked at my dad's shop in high school, University newspaper classifieds for one summer at college, university job website for the one I have now.

Just trying to figure out which are the best or most efficient to spend time looking at during my last semester.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
fbi90909

Postby fbi90909 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:43 pm

here in KW most business is tourism related. many hotels, restaurants, shops and such. when i was looking for my first job at 18 w/o high school diploma or G.E.D i had just walked around and applied at almost every hotel and such. no fast food places or shopping centers like kmart or a grocery store. in 1 day i applied at about 14 hotels. out of all my applications that went out only 1 hotel gave me an opportunity. i excelled in my work, and moved up from a janitor(i took w/e came to me) to a Building Manager(maintenance related) at a different hotels with many certifications in my work field.

yeah that's how i got my first job. now for finding a job effeciently i can't say since i'm at the second job location i've ever had. just been thru about 6 positions.
i guess what you can do is look for something in the line of work that you will enjoy, if you have knowledge/experience in that line of work chances are you may obtain these positions.
just ask friends or neighbors out of curiosity about open positions in thier work places. some places are bad about job advertising when they could be in need of people.

blah blah blah. time to go buy some glue.
black00

Postby black00 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:43 pm

KU40 wrote:How did you all get your job after you got out of college, high school, 2nd grade.....? Internet sites, classifieds in newspapers, family friends, help wanted board at the supermarket...?

I've used almost every avenue for the part time jobs I've had during school. Worked at my dad's shop in high school, University newspaper classifieds for one summer at college, university job website for the one I have now.

Just trying to figure out which are the best or most efficient to spend time looking at during my last semester.

Companies you are interested in often have "Career" tabs on their websites.
Find them......and if you have to...email Human Resources.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:06 pm

Get a quality CV up on any major job site (Monster, HotJobs, etc) and then update it every other day. This keeps you at the top of the lists.

If you have problems creating one, have a friend help. Looking good on a piece of paper is the first step, and can show that you have at least enough skills to know how to navigate a website and upload files. This puts you above 20-30% of the people immediately.

Oh, and don't be one of the idiots that puts a picture on their posting. Talk about unprofessional unless you're looking to be a model.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:09 pm

black00 wrote:Companies you are interested in often have "Career" tabs on their websites.
Find them......and if you have to...email Human Resources.

Good idea. Now I just have to find those companies, haha. There is a career fair here at school in a month or two, maybe one or two companies will be there. Problem is there are so many obscure little independent consulting firms that I'd have to do some searching to find, but pretty good to get on with.

Big Mack wrote:Get a quality CV up on any major job site (Monster, HotJobs, etc) and then update it every other day. This keeps you at the top of the lists.

I've browsed monster a couple times looking for types of jobs in my field that I may not have known about. Unfortunately it seems that in my field the job postings on there are for the higher ups with at least 5 years of experience wanted.

Oh, and don't be one of the idiots that puts a picture on their posting. Talk about unprofessional unless you're looking to be a model.

Big Mack

ooh a model, good idea. I'll try that out! easy work. too bad the field is filled with bitches, drama, pettiness, and shallow people.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300

Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded

SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Hobbes26

Postby Hobbes26 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:21 pm

A good way to tie over not having a job right after grad is to look for profs who have small projects that you can work on at school over the summer or for a term. Gives you a good reference, and it's short-term while you look for other work. It also helps if it's related to the field that you want to get into... Plus, it's another person who probably knows people in the industry and can hook you up with people/companies that he/she knows after you're done the project.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm terrified of your delima. My last year in school, and I'm not done with a demo reel and I'm scared about not finding a job for forevers. I think I've got a few friends in the industry who might be able to help.
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 pm

I just went to wherever I wanted a job and handed in an application. My best advice would be to dress nice (i.e. dress pants, shirt and tie, dress shoes), ask for the manager on duty and personally give the resume to them, while introducing yourself and shaking their hand. This allows for a great first time meeting opportunity and when the managers sit down to go over resumes out of all the faceless papers in the stack the manager you talked to will think "hey this ones a nice kid, well dressed, well spoken and polite" sort of gives you a one up.

Nigel
'03 S-dime ext. Cab.
Dropped 3" all around
Shadow billet grill
De-Trimmed/De-Badged
18" Beyern Type Five's in Hyper Silver
Nexen N3000 245/45ZR18 rubber
Eurolite clear tails
clear corners
Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau Cover

Alpine CDA-7998 source unit
Clarion SRS 1686 6.5" comp set up front
OZ Audio ME 12.4 in a 2 cube ported box at 34 Hz
JBL GTO 601.1 II Sub amp
JBL GTO 75.2 II comp. amp
12 sq. ft. Dynamat Extreme on roof
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:52 pm

You can do what I did, applied for jobs out of my league. I did that just to get my foot in the door and my name out there.

Return to “Off Topic : The Hell Hole”