Internal signs of a solid built amp?

General car audio discussion area.
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:55 am

With common car amps there can be little difference in sound, even a cheaper amp can sound great. You would need quite a system to pin a sound issue on a reasonable amp. They can handle distortion at max levels differently, and have difference in noise floors/sound/etc. But really I'd say your speakers/install and quality of the signal going into the amp has much greater bearing on the final sound for a typical system. Biggest problem I see is amps are fragile physically the way they put them together today (for average and less quality amps). I do swap amps in my systems because they often do change it, but that is mostly detail IMO compared to other issues. So far as I know I look for an amp to be screwed together, meaning the board and clamps are secure. I look for quality brand components, enough heat sink to handle how hot the amp runs, quality connectors/terminals/controls. I'm far from an amp designer so I'm not familiar with all amp topologies, I try to go with what works best for my app. I have an old amp that has STKxxx IC amps in it. Does not sound that great full range, but for some reason works on IB subs much better than other amps in that power range.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
starcraftier1

Postby starcraftier1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm

WOW thx good info

Return to “Car Audio”