Looking for new headphones - Ultrasone?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
eezip

Looking for new headphones - Ultrasone?

Postby eezip » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:34 pm

So I have a pair of Sony MDR-V600s which are about a decade old but I think sound great. However, the consensus on the internet is that they aren't very good. I've listened to every single AKG, Sennheiser, and BeyerDynamic headphones and I don't really care for any of them. I'm afraid I'm used to the Sony sound and so I'll just have to get a good headphone and dive in because it will sound better [just not to me, at least initially].

This is for listening to music while I'm at work and I'll be wearing them for hours at a time some days. Apparently, the Sony phones are really comfortable so I'd like to get a very comfortable headphone again. Also, I listen to mostly 70s rock [Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Steve Miller], DMB, newer alternative [Goo Goo Dolls, Audioslave, etc], and a bit of rap. I prefer a headphone that is true and unbiased, which probably means less bass than the Sonys or rap music really wants. So be it.

Now here's the catch - I just listened to all these cans at the NAMM show. I didn't know about Ultrasone before the show, and I liked their HFI-780 right away listening to a Cream DVD they had playing. So I'm in the ballpark. They didn't seem as comfortable as the Sonys, but probably livable. I know the x80 is a new series of headphones so there's probably few people who have them yet. And the guy at the booth said the local brick & mortar stores probably won't carry the 780s so he doesn't think I'd be able to hear them again before I buy. However, with the price I would pay, I figure I might as well go for it. Do you guys have any Ultrasone experience?
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I've got a set of Technics RP-DH1200 headphones for DJ'ing... Awesome headphones. Quite comfortable (although they do fatigue my ears after a while but just a short rest and they're better), good sound quality and loads of bass. They're a bit pricey but they are a good set of headphones. The only thing to watch out for is they WILL easily **** your hearing if you are not careful.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:45 pm

I have no experience... But if it fits the price range and the auditory desirability you are after, I'd say hit it.

I'm using the Sennheiser RS130's because of the wireless and it taps in wonderfully with my Stiletto - but I don't get any experience beyond that.
Yo.
newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 pm

What about the Sony 7506?
Senn HD280
Grado SR60/80
eezip

Postby eezip » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:24 am

newguy wrote:What about the Sony 7506?
Senn HD280
Grado SR60/80

I haven't liked a single pair of Senns that I've heard, including the 280s. A guy at work has them so I've listened to them enough to form a solid opinion. I know the must be at least decent, so it's just me being used to the Sonys that make me dislike other 'phones. That's too bad because I know the Sonys have a 'smiley face'-shaped response. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and get something better, whether I like it or not at first. For the price of the Ultrasone, I think I'll just go for it.
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”