Attention VISTA users: is it worth it?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:14 pm

hah, vista sounds totally ghey, I expected at least a half-assed argument FOR it, but wow...

so far, this is my Least problematic hardware/software setup I've ever had my entire life with computers, and I too remember the days of windows 98 ****ing me off sooooooo much when it was brand new...

I'm going to stick with XP.

Thanks guys.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Norton isn't all THAT bad. I use Symantec Corporate and consider it the best out there.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:31 pm

Oh, and the brother is getting a detailed list typed up. Seems I had misunderstood him before. He likes some of the features, but can't stand it overall.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:55 pm

vfootballphs wrote:Norton isn't all THAT bad. I use Symantec Corporate and consider it the best out there.

Just about every IT magazine would disagree with you. The problem is that you don't know you have a virus or spyware because norton's virus definitions are so poor and incomplete. There's no excuse for a program to use as much system resources as Norton does.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:22 am

I know about 150 different ones who would disagree with you and those who disagree with me ;) The schools in our system(district as well as region) all rely on it...Not because it is stipulated or the cheapest or whatnot, but because it works. There's no 100% perfect solution, but we haven't had a single dehabilitating virus since we've been running it(coming up on 10 years now...wow...been a long time). That speaks for itself. There might be better, but we haven't had any reason to change what works.

As far as my own computers go, in the 2.5 years I've had this computer I have never had a virus that didn't get caught by Symantec. In the 9+ previous years of using some verison of it I have never once had a virus that couldn't be cleaned on any computer I ran it on. They were all connected to the net and being used constantly.

Corprate is a different beast from the consumer version. I wouldn't touch nav with a 10ft pole. I will admit that it pretty much kills your computer while doing a scan, but that's why you schedule scans late at night when you aren't using it.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:00 am

Too late for an edit, but 150 was a hyperbole just to not be misunderstood :)
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:35 am

Pretty much all the IT people I know refuse to use Symantec/Norton Corp unless it's mandated by management. It's pretty widely known as one of the poorest AV products available. I'm not sure where you got that it's so great?
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:52 am

Where do y'all get that it isn't? Bad experiences? Maybe not keeping up with updates? No experience with the corporate version? It was developed to run the best with windows and netware networks. The school systems are all netware netwoks. I don't have any experience with it outside of netware or windows networks. Maybe that's part of it?
I just read every corporate av comparison I could find online and symantec corporate always ranked near the top...I guess I am just missing something.

It is a little tough to configure network wide, but that's about it. It isn't just me here. Our entire region uses it. If it didn't work people wouldn't use it. I can't do anything but provide my personal experience. Within my experience(10+ years of IT and networking for my school well as helping at many others) it has been a good product. I don't know what else I can say.:cwm22:

Edit: My last post gave many reasons why I think it's a good product ;)
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:26 pm

hell i don't use their crap, they hog memory bad.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:00 pm

As of this very second it is using 25mb...That's hogging?

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”