Attention VISTA users: is it worth it?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Member02

Attention VISTA users: is it worth it?

Postby Member02 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 pm

I finally recieved my Dell Vista upgrade kit in the mail, and I've heard the bad and some good, but mostly all I've heard was bad, BUT it only came from people who had never used vista (maybe they were jealous)

and I was about to install vista, then I got iffy... I was wondering to those who have it, is it better than xp?

I only use my computer for email, internet, and Autocad - my computer isn't slow with autocad (yet). Someone else mentioned that it should run faster on vista because its designed towork better with my 64bit processor (is this bull****? hah, common sense says a lower bit program should run faster on a higher bit processor, but I don't truely understand the details anymore, give me two computers from 1995 and I could answer any questions, but I've lost track of this computer world in the last 10 years)

thanks for any suggestions.
Bun-Bun

Postby Bun-Bun » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:33 pm

I wouldn't say it is worth it unless you are having memory problems with AutoCAD.

What I mean is the 64bit OS isn't really going to make AutoCAD run any faster but what it will do is give AutoCAD better/more access to memory. So if you have over 2 gigs of ram and want AutoCAD to be able to utilize it all then yeah use the 64 bit OS...

But if you really have no reasons to switch... then dont. Simple as that. I have only one reason to switch and it hasn't made me switch yet... DirectX 10.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I don't have direct experience, but my brother loves it. I'll give him a hollar and get some specifics. Just for some background, we've both been in the IT and networking field for about 10 years(yes...I've been doing that crap since I was 10), so I am pretty sure he'll give a qualified answer ;)
fbi90909

Postby fbi90909 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:12 pm

i've had about 2hrs hands on experience with Vista while doing pc installations for a few friends. Vista is not my cup of tea. most of the reviews that come out bad are primarly because since it's a "New" operating system all the bugs haven't been fixed up. plus not all of todays software is Vista ready yet.
is this vista upgrade an installation on top of XP? or are you formatting off XP and installing Vista? i would think you would end up with some problems if Vista installs over XPs components. kinda like the win 95 to 98upgrade. i had mad problems when that upgrade took place on my older systems.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:31 pm

lol, doesn't seem promising...

I don't know if it's an upgrade, from what I read on the CD, it says "VISTA UPGRADE" on the cd, as well as mentioning that I have to backup every file on my HD as it will wipe everything clean before installing:cwm17: - oxymoron?
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:35 pm

As bloated as Vista can be with system resources, and the drivers still in development, etc... I wouldnt do it.

I am an OEM builder for Microsoft (The family's business) and not only have I watched vista "grow up" but I do not reccomend it at all. At this point you may as well buy a Mac if you are going to run Vista. Had microsoft completed the new datalog file system then it may be worth it considering the autocad, bit it uses the same NTFS or FAT file system XP does. I dont see why they couldnt finish it, linux uses a file system almost exactly like what they were looking to acomplish, they could have just barrowed the software from an open share OS.

If you arent having problems with XP then dont upgrade. $0.02

My coworker and I are wadgering Vista will be pulled from the shelves just like ME was.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:49 pm

Here's another question for anyone whose really up on this stuff...

The new 768 meg video cards from from Nvidia (The 8900 or something like that) requires that you have Vista to run the cards (so I've read). Any way to get around this?

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:07 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:Here's another question for anyone whose really up on this stuff...

The new 768 meg video cards from from Nvidia (The 8900 or something like that) requires that you have Vista to run the cards (so I've read). Any way to get around this?

Adam

No, they require VISTA to use direct x 10, but they work on XP. The 8800 is what you are referring to.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 pm

TOBY!!!! (remember, I told you "YOUR NAME IS TOBY!")

I work with Vista every single day. I install it every day too. The upgrade path can be riddled with errors and I always prefer to do a fresh install to avoid a dirty registry. Unless you are comfortable with spending one to four hours on the phone with one to three Indians with accents thicker than black strap molasses, reconsider the "Express" or "Anytime" upgrades. I just got off the phone not two hours ago and I spent four hours on the phone with Microsoft today about their convoluted upgrade path.

I am a microsoft certified systems engineer so I am actually qualified to back up what I say here. Personally I wouldn't bother with vista unless you want to get the new games that only come on vista. For bull**** reasons Microsoft would like us all to think that DirectX 10 is so sophisticated it will only run on Vista. This is not true. DirectX 10's vista exclusivity is a selling point to convince gamers to lay down big money on an operating system with DirectX in it's infancy and drivers in the Beta stage.
I wouldn't even think of running vista with less than one gigabyte of memory. A clean vista install uses 550-600 megabytes of memory with no antivirus software. Do not use Norton or McAffee they are garbage. If you want to use 25% of your system's cpu power and 250+ megabytes of memory, then go with antivirus programs that actually replace operating system files and still cannot catch more than 50% of viruses.

Use avast. It's free. It's lightweight and you won't need to have any other spyware or malware programs running ever.

Okay back on track, you probably shouldn't upgrade to Vista. The process simply will not work with the express upgrade unless every piece of hardware on the computer has drivers on the vista disk. This is RARELY the case. The first issue you will run into is the SATA drivers. They will need to be preloaded, and that is a hassle because you sometimes end up having to disable AHCI in SATA in the BIOS and running SATA as IDE until you finish installing vista. This is the case with MSI boards and some Intel products.

If you are happy with your computer now, I would strongly advise against it.

At the shop, we set up dual boots with Windows XP and Vista. This is the best solution next to a clean format and install to Vista. PM me and I'll tell you how to do this if you want.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:24 pm

CBFryman wrote:As bloated as Vista can be with system resources, and the drivers still in development, etc... I wouldnt do it.

I am an OEM builder for Microsoft (The family's business) and not only have I watched vista "grow up" but I do not reccomend it at all. At this point you may as well buy a Mac if you are going to run Vista. Had microsoft completed the new datalog file system then it may be worth it considering the autocad, bit it uses the same NTFS or FAT file system XP does. I dont see why they couldnt finish it, linux uses a file system almost exactly like what they were looking to acomplish, they could have just barrowed the software from an open share OS.

If you arent having problems with XP then dont upgrade. $0.02

My coworker and I are wadgering Vista will be pulled from the shelves just like ME was.

I doubt that VISTA will be pulled, but expect more and more problems and more upgrades as hardware and VISTA matures.

If you use ANY sort of digital content creation- Photoshop, AUTOCAD, Maya- you will encounter slower performance. Maya is 80 PERCENT SLOWER on vista than the same computer with XP pro SP2, both totally up to date.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”