Attention VISTA users: is it worth it?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:32 pm

s3sqguy wrote:
I can't remember the last time I got a virus detected. I have never had one affect this machine and have had none at all for years. Between a hard firewall and ISPs scanning it seems to be worthless, plus I shut my machines off all the way when not in use.

That's because Norton's virus definitions SUCK! They are not complete. Nine times out of ten, I find a computer with norton is full of trojans.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Since this came back up...I recently had some free time so I installed avg along with symantec. I then downloaded files that I knew were viruses and did a little test. Symantec and avg both recognized all 10. Avg sucessfully cleaned or quarantined 8...here's the kicker...Symantec cleaned or quarantined ALL 10. Obviously 10 isn't a large enough sample to conclude much, but in this little test Symantec came out on top. I've left avg on the machine and as of right now it is using 11mb with real time protection on. Symantec is using 22mb with the same. Neither has picked up a virus since the others were cleaned.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:11 pm

AVG is just as bad as Norton.

How many computers with malware, spyware, viruses do you work with every single day? I have two years worth of real world experience doing virus and spyware removal and recovery. I have used

AVG
Symantec/Norton
F-Secure
Zone Alarm
Avast
Nod 32
Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Trend Micro
Panda
Webroot Spysweeper
and others

The only one that I have ever been able to completely clean a computer with are Nod32 and Avast. Spysweeper does a good job too but it uses a bit too much memory.
So if you don't want to take my advice, just keep running your computer with inadequate protection. Last week, a customer who used Norton told me about the phishing nightmare he had been through. Thousands of dollars are now missing out of his account because Norton doesn't offer adequate phishing detecton. And neither does windows 2000, s3sguy.
You are leaving yourselves vulnerable.

Sh*t, download avast. It's free and does a better job than norton. On an infected computer with norton just this morning, I removed 30 odd instances of trojans.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:04 pm

I use McAfee.....it is free for me.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:32 pm

I haven't worked with more than three in about 2 years. Before that it was several hundred a day :) I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's worked so far. Phishing? Are you serious? I'm sorry, but why people should have to rely on software to spot a scam? That's common sense stuff.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:39 pm

By the way, AVG is gone, avast has replaced it, and I am doing the same test as before with different viruses. We'll see how this turns out :)
Apollyon

Postby Apollyon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:48 pm

I just switched all of my machines back to XP Pro because Vista is a PITA and uses way too much memory, I've been dealing with Vista since the Longhorn days and I think that it still needs work
2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE
Running active
Alpine IVA-D105
Alpine PXA-H701
Alpine RUX-C701
Zapco DC1100.1 - Subs
Zapco DC1000.4 - Mids/Highs
Zapco DC500.1 (2) - Mid Bass
Dayton Aluminum Dome Tweeters
B&C 6 1/2 Midbass Drivers
2- RE Audio 8's Vented Box tuned to 31Hz (in the process of building a new box for 4 8's
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:24 pm

LOL, I think W2K is more of a virus attractant than protection right?

I run the norton (symantec), spybot, and pestpatrol. I have used the AVG and adaware but they didn't do anything so I quit, adaware found a bunch of junk but none was harmful that I could tell, mostly cookies. I will try avast when I get time but doubt it will find anything. I don't dload much anyway. This particular machine has been running since '01 with no problems. It looks like if I build a new one this fall I should use XP pro? It will be the same bs from ms as last time; I bought and paid more for w2k because xp sucked back then.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 pm

Windows me FTW!!
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:21 pm

This reminds me, haven't had a chance to do the test yet. I might have some time this weekend to try it.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”