New Sound Card

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Shooter61

New Sound Card

Postby Shooter61 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:06 pm

I recently purchased a pair of Paradigm Titans (KICK *** BOOKSHELFS!) and I also recently ran an RCA from my computer into the back of my reciever to play music. I am playing all my music from Napster and notice that the sound isn't as good. There is less depth and the clarity just isn't as crystal clear as it is when I am playing off a CD. The computer is about 5 years old and has the original OEM card, would a new card be a good upgrade for a SQ boost? I looked at a couple on Tigerdirect for around 100.00. If this is a good idea and would help my SQ to my receiver please recommend a new sound card for me to pick up. Do they make them with RCA outputs rather than 1/8 inch?
Thanks,
Ryan
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Honestly, I doubt you'd hear much difference. The original CD quality is not there, no matter how much better the transmission from one to the other, it's still not there. I would imagine that the quality of your downloads is probably 192K at best, which is below the rate for a CD. The compression that is done for MP3's does eliminate some of the natural sound, which you now know. If you want CD quality, you're going to have to A) play the CD or 2) use a lossless codec that makes high quality files. Note that you'll still lose a bit of the information, though.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:25 am

Good choice on bookshelves (I have Monitor 7s from Paradigm) , but like Mack said, your problem is the mp3 file itself.

Does playing a CD from your computer through the speakers sound good?
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:17 pm

Yeah my problem wasn't in the card it was on the receiver it self. I didn't realize that my preset eq was turned off so therefore I lost my bass and the SQ, turn it on and vwalla night and day, but still not up to CD quality, but after your ear adjusts you can't notice a terrible SQ change. But I can't say enough about these paradigms if you havn't heard em go check out your local dealer they really wang for a bookshelf!
Thanks for the input mack and jake!
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:55 pm