video card problem

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Dezal

video card problem

Postby Dezal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:56 am

Well I seem to have run into a problem last night with my PC. I was cleaning out the inside of my computer( I have 3 cats). I had unplugged everything took out my video card, net card, and sound card to clean them off. I put everything back into the case hooked up all the connectors then plugged the power back into the computer.

Now when I start the computer up it just beeps constantly and says the power is not connected to my Radeon 9700 pro. There is power connected to it though because the fan turns on.

Im really afraid something happened to my card but I dont know what. Any help would be appreciated.:cwm20:

Alan
94 Nissan Sentra

Head: Kenwood KDC-X659
Front: Cadence US 55 Coax w/ Lanzar Opti 200.2
Sub: SI MagnumD2 w/ Avionixx 800.2
Luda

Postby Luda » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:50 pm

um, switch connectors with something else, you might have low voltage on that line.
Ravo

Postby Ravo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:38 pm

Double check every power connecters. Maybe pull them all off and hook them back up. If that doesn't work then reseat all your cards, RAM, and processor. At the shop I used to work at, what you're talking about was an everyday thing. Maybe 1 time out of 50 was it something physically wrong with a machine.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 pm

The fan doesnt get it's power from the 4 pin header on the back of the card.

The card should take a molex in the top right corner. Double check that those wires go direct to the PSU.

-Chip
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Dezal

Postby Dezal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:00 pm

I have tried swicthing up the connectors, still will not come up. I will try reseating the cards and other components.

The only power going to the card is the 4 pin connector from what I can remember. But I will double check. I just dont remember a molex every going to my card and I have worked on it a few times. But then again my memory isnt what it used to be.

Thanks, any more ideas are welcome

Alan
94 Nissan Sentra

Ravo

Postby Ravo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:58 pm

If you have video, but your operating system (Windows) says your video card isn't getting enough power, you can be sure that you missed a molex connector in the back or side of the video card. If you don't have video at all and the beeping noise is the same one you get when you turn on the PC, it's usually something not seated right.

In the top right corner of this picture of a Gigabyte 9700 pro you'll see a molex connector. That needs to be attached to your power supply. In the top right of this picture of a Generic Radeon you'll see it uses a normal floppy driver power connector. I could bet money you have one of those and you didn't hook power up to it.

But don't worry. Your card will underclock itself until it gets the power it needs, so it won't hurt anything.
Dezal

Postby Dezal » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:52 am

My video card has the floppy drive connector like in the second picture. I have it hooked up and even tried my second connector from the power supply and it still will not work.

I have no video other than a message on my screen saying there is no power to my 9700 pro and then the constant beeping. I have also removed all my other cards and have tried reseating it a couple of times.

Another thing I tried was putting in an old GeForce card I have that does not even require a power hookup. With it installed windows loads fine.

Alan
94 Nissan Sentra

CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:33 am

1.) when you go to clean out your case, dont unplug things. They have a good connection now, dont unplug them and then blow dust everywhere that could possible get into the connectors and seats. After cleaning if you want to remove htem, clean their slot, and set them back in that is fine.

Also, dont remove your processor EVER unless you are having processor problems.

2.) Know the beep codes or have access to them for your BIOS if you want to go messing around inside. If you knew the beep codes you would know as soon as you booted up what was wrogn and what you could do to address it.

3.) going along with the above. look up the beep codes to your bios or give use the name of your bios or the maker of your motherboard and what processor you use and we can tell you what you need to address. constant beeping is usually a RAM problem if i remember correctly. Reseat your ramp after cleaning otu the slot. If that doesnt work reseat your video card.

all the computer needs to boot is a Partition, RAM, Video Card, and a Processor. :)
Luda

Postby Luda » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:55 pm

The card pulls some power from the slot its in, it needs the molex/floppy connector to supply the extra power for the Onboard GPU and Ram
Ravo wrote:It's an audiophile grade nuclear reactor inside of an amp casing. All the biohazard stickers are on the inside.

Ride:2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L
HU: Kenwood Excelon
Fronts: Stock
Rears: Stock
Sub: Stock
Amp: stock
Dezal

Postby Dezal » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:16 pm

Ok I have cleaned and reset the ram and video card again and it still beeps when I turn it on. Also I have never and never will mess with the processor unless I need to put a new one in.

My motherboard is a MSI MS-6330 K7T Turbo2. I am using and Athlon XP1800+ processor. So far I have had no luck finding an explanation the beep codes.

Thanks

Alan
94 Nissan Sentra

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”