Computer Problem?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Ravo

Postby Ravo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:11 pm

It's been my experience that adware is a lot like an infection on a person. When I worked at a computer shop, the earlier we caught it the better. Usually when it was really really bad the computers were so bogged down we literally could not fix the problem because what we were working on didn't have the free resources. In the end, a quick format and reinstall was the only hope. I expected no less from the backwards town I live in, but I'm rambling.

I'm just going to confirm what's already been said. 3 applications can help: Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner. Avoid any other applications- many that claim to clean up adware simply add more on top of what's there, then charge you a fee to remove what they installed. If anything pops up and says "You have A, B, and C adware! Download Adware Killer!" it's usually one of them. In fact, don't click on any pop ups at all.

Change your browser. Anything not IE. It's hard to stress this to people but it's important.

Apart from that, keep your installed program count low. A PC is like a car, the more weight that's on it and the more crap you've got in the engine, the less it's going to perform, and the more likely you're going to get a popup claiming your engine needs serviced.
Luda

Postby Luda » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 pm

well... you still having the problem?
Ravo

Postby Ravo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:17 pm

His computer is now so overburdened with adware he can not post! Oh noes!
Luda

Postby Luda » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 pm

thats kinda what i was thinking
woodpaneling

Postby woodpaneling » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:49 pm

My internet connection is such crap that it won't stay on long enough for me to download the Spybot program. I've tried at least 60 times now and it disconnects before I can download it. That is another problem in itself. My computer hates me.

If I ever get the program installed, I will let you know if it works. Otherwise, a bullet seems like a quick fix :D
woodpaneling

Postby woodpaneling » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:51 pm

Yes, I am on dial up internet. I am pitiful :)
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:06 pm

woodpaneling wrote:Yes, I am on dial up internet. I am pitiful :)

Where are you located at?
Ravo

Postby Ravo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:23 pm

woodpaneling: Sometimes the easiest answer is to head over to a somewhere with broadband and a take a few blank CD-Rs with you. I'm on dial up, too. I just take my machine to the PC shop I occasionally work at to update my linux Distro (about 400 megs / update, run once a month), and all my Winblows applications off their DSL.

Otherwise, big, evil, soul-less, multimillion dollar corporations offer DSL pretty cheap nowadays if you in range. (I'm not)
woodpaneling

Postby woodpaneling » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:54 am

Yeah, I've checked with Verizon about DSL... checked with about everyone. Nothing is available in my area. Earthlink offers satilliete, but it was about $80 a month plus $400 for the equipment (on sale even). Too much for me.

I barely go on the internet for fun anymore... I hate dealing with dial up. I used to check this site everyday when I had cable internet. Now sometimes I will go weeks and not get on here. It's not fun when you have to redial every 10 minutes and reload pages.

I finally got the Spybot program. Still have pop ups. I ran Spybot, Adaware, and SpySubtract... still have pop ups.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:41 pm

woodpaneling wrote:Yeah, I've checked with Verizon about DSL... checked with about everyone. Nothing is available in my area. Earthlink offers satilliete, but it was about $80 a month plus $400 for the equipment (on sale even). Too much for me.

I barely go on the internet for fun anymore... I hate dealing with dial up. I used to check this site everyday when I had cable internet. Now sometimes I will go weeks and not get on here. It's not fun when you have to redial every 10 minutes and reload pages.

I finally got the Spybot program. Still have pop ups. I ran Spybot, Adaware, and SpySubtract... still have pop ups.

Try downloading a popup blocker. I use one, and it's phenomenal. Be sure to read how to use it. Panic Ware is where I got mine.

Big Mack

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”