considering RAID 0

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
dbEric

considering RAID 0

Postby dbEric » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 pm

I have a few spare hard drives and I was considering going RAID 0 for my windows drive and also RAID 0 for my data drives.

C drive would be two WD2000JS SATA300 200GB
D drive would be two Maxtor 250GB ATA/133

Computer will be mainly used for photoshop and the odd audio editting aswell as gaming soon enough.

I have read that putting drives in RAID increases the chances of data corruption or drive failures.

Any comments?

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD 3500+ (for now)
Corsair 1 GB Twinx1024-3200 (might buy some overclocking ram in the future)
XFX 7900GT
"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin"
"Hoping I can find where to leave my mark behind"
http://www.jeunespoirjamaique.com/JEAweb/index.htm
http://www.jeunespoirjamaique.com/
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:28 pm

Performance will increase, capacity will increase, reliability will go in the crapper.

You are 4x more likely to lose everything with a Raid0 Array, not 2x as logic would dictate.

I have 2 Raid0 arrays, one is 2x 36GB Raptors, the other is 2x 74GB raptors. I don't keep anything important on either set, one is for my gamebox, the other is for my backup gamebox.

If you want to keep the data, don't raid them, sure it will *probably* be ok for a while, but it will fail eventually. Losing 500GB of stuff sure would suck.

For file storage, i've got a 600GB Raid5 array that i've had in place for the last 4-5 years.

Also, as it looks as if you are a tinker-er, i'd for sure not recommend it, as you're going to be tinkering one day, and you'll lose your stuff for sure. If you get a couple raptors, and make them your boot drive, and keep files elsewhere, i'd say go for it.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
dbEric

Postby dbEric » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:08 am

How often do you hear people having trouble with RAID 0 setups? I know there is risks, but there are with anything you do.

I guess I don't that worried since I've never had a hard drive fail on me, even after a 5 year windows install.

I might forget about the RAID 0 data drives and might go RAID 1 since I do have some important information and I don't feel like backing up every couple of weeks.

So I guess Windows only RAID 0, opinions?
"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin"
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:41 pm

I work in a company that makes rugged servers. In my tenure as a tech I saw hundreds of raid failures, so my insight might be skewed, better safe than sorry though.

As for home use, you can have huge luck or terrible luck, it all depends. I've got systems with functional 3.1Gb hard disks that don't fail, and i've seen issues with brand new drives.

Both my Gameboxes (p4 3.4 prototype chip and Dual Opteron 285 respectively) are running Raid0 raptor arrays, and I love them, however, i have had an issue with the p4 system, my power supply atx12v connector was a little messed up when i initially built the box, and due to the fact that it was a prototype cpu, it drew a little too much current melted the 4 pin connector, and i was having intermittant reboots. ( I later fixed this by soldering heavier gauge wire directly to the 12v output in the supply into the holes where the atx12v connector previously was, much better current carrying capacity) One of the times it crashed it was apparently in the process of writing something to the FAT. Needless to say, it wouldn't boot into windows upon the next reboot.

Based on the fact that you are looking at overclocking, and that you are running AMD (I like AMD as much or more than the next guy, and have owned more AMD systems than just about anyone, but their **** is unreliable, sorry) I would think that you'd be better served with a Raid1 or a standalone drive.

If you've got the money, stripe some small Raptors to put your OS/most used apps on, and keep the standalone drives for file storage. Keep all important data on standalone/raid1 drives and utilize the raid0 performance advantage for applications.

Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:16 pm

My friend Dave has had two major incidents with a RAID 0 setup. One was recovered and the 2nd he lost all the video he was working on.

I really wouldn't bother unless you are doing it for video editing or the like. The game and windows load what a few seconds faster?
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:05 pm

The performance boost for games and windows is pretty big. I won't go back anytime soon.

dbEric

Postby dbEric » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:55 pm

When you mean fail, do you mean:

1)The drive physicaly fails and needs to be replaced.

or

2)The information is lost and you need to reinstall everything.

I currently added my 2 SATA drive in RAID 0 with windows and just the basics to see how it runs. I haven't done much yet to see any improvement.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:27 am

we dont use Raid 0 for our servers that we build. there is a good reason for that.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:42 am

actually, either 1 or 2 will result in data loss.

Raid 0 is made for performance and capacity, not redundancy. My array in my secondary gamebox (couple of raptors with a p4 3.4 and a x800) dumped on me one night, only losing the installed games/programs/os, needless to say it sucked. Now if said array was 400GB and it had all my data on it, i'd be pretty ****ed off.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”