what exactly do u need to meter a car, and where do u get this stuff?

Locked threads. Attitude problems. We don't delete them, they just get tossed here.
kaosmoon

Postby kaosmoon » Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:06 pm

well i got a laptop, i can get crapper ones if i need em too for under 100 bux soooo, software option is looking like the best bet.

as for saving derek. waiting to see if those frigging companys ever to back to me and 'allow' me to sell their brand. damn people.
bigbassman

Postby bigbassman » Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:42 pm

Originally posted by jlaine:
<STRONG>

That's IT?
I know it sounds kind of absurd- but $1500, if that is all it costs- then I'd not even touch an AC meter- I'd grab my laptop and go...
By far the best choice IMO.</STRONG>

I'd have to question reliability and accuracy for that low of a price....

Does that price include the mic, and Pac-3 for connection to the labtop? (maybe this setup doesn't require the PAC-3, but I know the lin X does for connection to a labby.

Loyd L.
DanWiggins

Postby DanWiggins » Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:32 pm

Actually it's quite a reliable setup. Clio runs around $900; LAud runs around $500, with another $150 for the sound card (they're hard to find the right models, though, but you can find them). Add another $350 for the high SPL mic, and $300 for a lunchbox computer (locally here in Seattle, Seattle Laptop sells refurbished 486/75s with 11.3" dual scan screens for that price - plenty of computer for these uses), and you're in for around $1500.

NOTE: both of these systems need a portable/lunchbox type computer. They have a PC card that you must plug in! If you want to use a notebook, wait for Praxis from Liberty Instruments, later this year. It will use a USB-based interface box, and any soundcard, so you can use a true notebook. Supposed to be priced in the $600 range or so; add in $350 for the high SPL mic, and $600 for a decent notebook, and you're right at the same price-point again.

We use LAud exclusively here at Adire. Been using it for 4 years now, with great results. High quality, accurate measurements (as good as the NIST-certified systems we've used at some of our OEM client's places). Good enough for FDA-approved life critical designs!

A good test mic is invaluable; we use the AudioControl MP-200 mic and preamp 95% of the time (have an assortment of mics, including the Mitey Mike, some home-brew units, and a few B&K capsules and preamp). Getting another test mic late next week, so we can measure to 165 dB SPL.

And it all resides in either a 90 MHz Pentium lunchbox or tower, depending upon where we're at!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
What box do you want? SQ or SPL? Neither. You want SQL, which is an entirely different thing. You want the box to quad and give lots of Hertz...

[color="Cyan"]We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams[/color]
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:16 pm

Originally posted by Dan Wiggins:
<STRONG>

Lastly, if you want to do some REAL analysis, get a quality PC-based system, like LAud from Liberty Instruments (http://www.libinst.com) or Clio from Audiomatica (distributed by Orca Design: http://www.orcadesign.com). These will allow SPL, frequency response, THD, acoustic phase, impedance, T/S, impulse, waterfall, and about 3 dozen other audio measurements. MUCH higher power, and not too much cost. Combined with an MK160 measurement mic from Gold Line, or an MP200 with the SPL180 mic from AudioControl, you have a VERY high SPL measurement system. Combine with a portable PC, and you're into a pro-quality measurement system for around $1500.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio</STRONG>

That's IT?
I know it sounds kind of absurd- but $1500, if that is all it costs- then I'd not even touch an AC meter- I'd grab my laptop and go...
By far the best choice IMO.
Yo.
randomboy

Postby randomboy » Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:20 pm

That mobile PC setup sounds SOOOO much more ideal, both budget wise and versatility wise if you have the means.

That PC-based mic program would be AWESOME if you had a PC integrated right into your car :)
97 Sunfire ~ Alpine CDA-7995 ~ Arc 2100cxl ~ Arc 1500d-r ~ Image Dynamics CSX62 and............

VITAMIN B12!! GET YOU SOME!!! :D
Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:23 pm

Originally posted by jlaine:
<STRONG>

That's IT?
By far the best choice IMO.</STRONG>

hehe....when do we start saving up kaos??? :)
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
Mistrgold

Postby Mistrgold » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:15 am

Please man, you bring a 4 year old thread back from the dead and you try to sell stuff when you aren't allowed. Not starting on the right foot.
-Jake SIN Staff
98 Midwest Region Second Place
91 Honda accord EXR
Pioneer avx7000cd
2 zapco 400's
1 zapco 100
1 zapco 200
1 zapco 600
zapco slx4
4 zapco mono eq's
zapco sp7
zapco symbilink
oz audio components
stroker 15
strappingyoungl

Postby strappingyoungl » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:25 am

Umm...wrong forum, perhaps?
"I always wanted to be the first woman to carry out a martyr attack, where parts of my body can fly all over. That is the only wish I can ask God for."
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:19 am

God man look how old this damn thread is.

Return to “Dirty Laundry”